Warning signs of an unhealthy relationship
- Healthy relationships start with feeling respected and safe
- You have a right to respect and safety in all your relationships
- Relationship behaviour that is abusive is never OK and may be domestic and family violence or sexual violence
- If you are worried about unhealthy, abusive or violent behaviour in any of your relationships, you can contact 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 and through the online chat.
Repeated behaviour that makes you feel unsafe can be a sign of an abusive relationship.
All relationships go through hard times. Having disagreements and feeling unhappy are things we all face at different stages. Sometimes it can be hard to know what is normal and what isn’t. Many relationships go through ups and downs, but abuse is a repeating pattern of behaviour. It is important to know that you should never feel unsafe in a relationship.
A relationship may be unhealthy if the other person:
- Tries to control you
- Pressures you
- Deliberately hurts you
- Expresses extreme jealousy
- Puts you down
- Threatens you.
Many of these things can be abusive and are not OK. If you think your relationship might be unhealthy or abusive it is important to know that support is available.