Violence and the law

Online legal resources

  • There are a range of organisations that can help you navigate the legal system for a sexual, domestic or family violence matter
  • There are different services operating in different states
  • On this page you will find links to information, resources and support in each state and territory.

Where can I find support and information on the legal system?

There are a number of ways you may come into contact with the legal system when you have experienced sexual assault, domestic or family violence. This page contains links to organisations that provide legal information, resources and support wherever you are in Australia, free of charge.

The first section has links to national, state and territory legal services as well as useful online resources. In each section you will also find information on Magistrates' or Local Courts, which handle protection order applications and other domestic or family violence matters. For criminal matters, including sexual assault, or matters involving children you would need to attend a different court. Contact a legal service for further support and information or advice on which court you need to go.

In addition to the legal services listed on this page, sexual assault support or counselling services can also provide information and support for victims of rape and sexual assault. Support services may provide information on how to report the crime to police, have a Forensic Medical Examination and how to access emergency contraception. These services may also be able to provide ongoing counselling as well as support when reporting to police or being a witness in court.

The Service directory provides links to support and counselling services in your area.

Support services and legal resources

In case of immediate danger call 000 for police assistance. 

To make emergency calls using TTY dial 133 667 or find out more about accessibility options.

For information, referral and counselling contact 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or through online chat. Our service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Video resources

Some of the courts and legal services listed on this page also have videos that support people experiencing violence and abuse. These include videos about what to expect if you go to court, how to apply for an intervention order and some of the laws relating to domestic and family violence. As laws are slightly different in each state and territory it's important to use these videos as a guide only and to seek legal advice before making any important decisions.

Legal Aid A.C.T

Legal Aid A.C.T have a series of videos that provide information on common legal matters. The videos are accessed through the Legal Aid A.C.T website.

What's the Law? Family violence 

Justice Department NSW

The New South Wales Justice Department have a series of videos, containing information for victims of crime about going to court in that sate.

Justice Journey - Introduction 

Magistrates Court SA

The Magistrates Court of South Australia have created a video to explain the legal process of taking out an Intervention Order in that state.

Stop the Violence 

Community Legal Centres TAS

The Community Legals Centres of Tasmania have a video series on how to represent yourself in court. These provide a good overview for anyone going to court, including victims and defendants.

Representing yourself in court 

Neighbourhood Justice Centre VIC

The Neighbourhood Justice Centre of Victoria have a range of videos relating to courts, legal matters and domestic and family violence.

NJC video resources 

Eastern Community Legal Centre VIC

The Eastern Community Legal Centre of Victoria have created an easy to understand video on the process of applying for an intervention order in that state.

Steps 2 Safety video