To leave this site quickly, click the Quick Exit button below. Learn about Quick Exit button here. If you don’t want your browser history saved, please open incognito browsing mode. Learn about incognito mode here. If you're in immediate danger, please call 000 

Financial support services

What kind of financial support is available to me?

  • Worries about money and finances are common for people affected by domestic and family violence
  • It is important to know that Australia has many services that can help you with your money and financial problems
  • You do not need to feel trapped in a violent situation because of money or financial worries
  • This page explains some of the services that can help you.

Money can be one of the biggest causes of worry and stress for everyone. We understand that when you have experienced domestic, family and sexual violence, those worries can be even greater. 

In Australia there are many services that can help you figure out solutions to your financial problems. You do not need to feel trapped in a violent situation because of money or financial worries.

Below are some of the options for help and support. You can find more support services by searching our Service Directory or through the Money Smart website.

What is the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS)?

No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) is a community-based program that provides access to fair and safe loans for eligible people, including people who have experienced family or domestic violence in the last 10 years.

More information about NILS, including provider locations and eligibility requirements, can be found at the Good Shepherd website or by calling 13 64 57.

I need help with money or finances

If you need help with living expenses there are organisations that can help you with:

  • Rent or accommodation
  • Paying water, gas or electricity bills
  • Food parcels and vouchers for food
  • Vouchers for transport or chemist supplies
  • Clothing
  • Budgeting 
  • Other essential goods and services

If you need this kind of support, you can:

Escaping Violence Payment

If you are experiencing violence and are requiring financial assistance please go to the UnitingCare website who administer the Escaping Violence Payment. The Escaping Violence Payment program (EVP) is available to anyone who is experiencing violence from their partners. You may be eligible for up to $5,000 in financial assistance.

If you are a temporary visa holder in Australia experiencing violence and require financial assistance, support is available. The Temporary Visa Holders Experience Pilot is available to eligible individuals. Please go to the Red Cross website who administer the payment.

In May 2024, the Leaving Violence Payment was announced by the Australian Government. From mid-2025 the Escaping Violence Payment will transition to the Leaving Violence Payment program. Eligible individuals will be able to access the Payment, regardless of their visa status. Details about how to access this payment will be updated from mid-2025.

I need financial counselling or help with debt

If you are worried about debt you can call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007. Your call will be answered by independent financial counsellors offering free, confidential advice on:

  • Utility bills, such as gas, electricity, phone and internet
  • Mortgage payments or rent
  • Credit cards and personal loans
  • Centrelink issues
  • Joint debts
  • Generally sorting out your finances

You can also get help from the National Debt Helpline website. The website has information about common financial problems and guides on how to manage them.