South Australia: Intervention Orders

Find out how to get a protection order in SA.

This page contains:

Intervention Orders are orders of the court that can stop future violence or intimidation. It is a criminal offence to disobey an Intervention Order.

Applying for an Intervention Order

You can ask the the SA Police (SAPOL) to apply to the Court on your behalf to obtain an order but it is important to remember that an order is not the same as a criminal charge. However, if there has been an offence committed the police may charge the abuser at the same time as getting the process started for the Order. They may also take out an on-the-spot  order to protect you, which works in the same way as a court issued order. These are called Interim Intervention Orders.

For more information about Intervention Orders:

If you want to apply for an Intervention Order you can contact SA police on 131 444 or apply yourself (see below).

Intervention Orders can also protect children who live with or are affected by domestic or family violence.

If you don’t want the police involved

Some people do not wish to speak with the police about the abuse they are experiencing. Individuals can apply for orders themselves, by using this form from the local Magistrates Court.

The Legal Commission of South Australia's Law Handbook provides a good overview of the Intervention order process and what to do if you are living with domestic or family violence. 

Before applying for an order, it is a good idea to speak to a lawyer. It could be a private lawyer, or a lawyer from a Community Legal Centre (CLC),  Women’s Legal Service or the Legal Services Commission/Legal Aid.  You can find contact detail on our South Australian Services page.

Regional domestic violence services can also help people with Intervention Order applications or questions about these orders, and will be able to provide court support workers to help people affected by domestic and family violence through court procedures. 

Details of your closest domestic violence service are available from the Don't Cross The Line website.

Breaches of Intervention Orders

If a person disobeys the terms of their order, this is known as a breach, or contravention. Breaching an Intervention Order is a criminal offence that carries significant penalties. For example, if the abuser approaches you in the street when they are not supposed to, or sends abusive text messages, they may be breaching the order.

If this happens, call the police.

It is a good idea to keep copies of text messages, or write down the details of incidents. Always carry a photocopy of your intervention order with you in your wallet, as this makes it easier for police when they arrive.

If you have family law orders it is also helpful to carry those with you.

Was this page helpful?

Your feedback helps to improve the content on this site.